I haven't seen that doll in MONTHS so I said, "I'm sorry Honey, I have no idea where it is!"
Rachel: Mom that's why you have to FIND it!
Me: Honey I'm SORRY! It's LOST! I have no idea where to look!
Rachel: But MOOOOOOOOOM! I NEEEEEEEEEED IT!
Me: Rachel I'm SORRY! I am NOT SUPER MOM! I CANNOT SEE through walls! I cannot make your doll magically appear! I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT IS!
Rachel calmly patted my shoulder and reassuringly replied, "Mom you ARE SUPER! now. Come help me find my doll please."
They really believe that don't they? It's a pretty humbling feeling to be a parent and know that your small child really believes you have super human abilities. If you can't go to the park because it's raining, they know YOU can make it stop. If a favorite toy is broken far beyond repair, they know YOU can fix it. Super mom kisses really DO have healing properties, and if nightmares come to call only SUPER DADS can make them disappear. Being treated like a super hero really could go to your head, and still there is NOTHING more humbling than being a parent.
I think, maybe, in a small way that is how our relationship with our Heavenly Father is. He IS a Supreme Being and he IS omnipotent and omniscient and omnipresent. And yet, because of that sometimes I forget that He's also my FATHER. And because he's my FATHER I can become LIKE HIM. As a parent, it would be easy for me to use my "super powers" to chase away bullies and do all their homework (which I hear gets pretty bad these days), and keep them cooped up in the house so they would never skin their knees or get stung by a bee or make a bad friend. But then they would never grow up. They would never become like me. And it would be easy for Heavenly Father to shield us from harm and wipe out the bad guys and keep us from struggling and even suffering. But then we would never grow up. We would never become like him. I remember being a kid and looking at my parents and other adults and just being blown away that someday I would know all they knew and be capable of acutally being an adult (I'm still working on that by the way). And maybe it becomes easy for us to forget our divine potential because we are such infants in comparison to our Heavenly Parents. But that's the promise.
And that promise brings me hope.
Especially on the days when I need to be "Super".
has anyone seen my cape?...
2 comments:
...and the boots! Cape are in, but boots are timeless.
You are amazing and Super! Thank you for your strength, friendship and testimony. Love you sis!
Your an awesome lady. That made me cry. I'm such a boob!!
Post a Comment