Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Perfect Summer Night

It's the perfect July evening. The sun is packing up and heading home after a long hot day trailing ribbons of gold behind it which sweep the ground like a child pulling his blanket off to bed. The wind decided to stay home tonight so the air is a nice warm constant 75 degrees - just like I like it. The grass is soft and cool beneath my feet. The kids are riding their bikes around the driveway and picking raspberries from the patch along the fence, and, gently rocking, I watch them. Then the faint sound of twinkly music fills the air and the children playing in the street fall silent.

THAT SOUND.

THAT GLORIOUS SOUND!

Children begin to appear from everywhere as if being coaxed from their hiding spots by a mystical Pied Piper. And then I see it round the corner onto our street.

The Sprosty's circa 1950 Ice Cream Truck. PURE BLISS.

So the kids (jumping up and down as if it's Christmas morning) choose these cheerful beauties.


And I go back to reading my book in this.


YEP. PURE BLISS.

4 comments:

RaeLynn said...

You totally have your mom's skills for writing :)

Sounds like the PERFECT evening :) The icecream truck is magical. That's for sure.

britt said...

so fun. I love summer! we wish we could see you guys!! I need your email to have you on the list. I'm going private. did you already give it to me??? anyway, email me again. mikeandbritt@gmail.com

jenny said...

I am pretty sure I want to live by you, or be you, either one!!

Hermana Macy Udy said...

What an adorable family you have! We too had an absolutely wonderful time with you guys. A very memorable week!

I am not surprised your mom is a writer. You defintely have some amazing writing skills as well! Very impressive. :)

I too read some of your previous posts, and I think I am going to adopt the April Fool's, tv dinner, cupcake idea. I love that!

Thank goodness for the blogging world and the ability to stay in touch this way!