Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Birthday Tales Chapter 2 - Grandpa Bishop

Paul's dad, Marv, is the bishop of their ward in Pleasant Grove.

Sometimes we call him Grandpa Bishop.

Grandpa Bishop's ward had a dinner this week, and Grandpa Bishop invited the family to come since we were all in town. We drove down from Salt Lake and went straight to the church, not stopping at the house before hand to see the family. Unfortunately for Paul (but fortunately for the rest of us - tee hee hee) he showed up looking EXACTLY like his dad. HAAAA!

Yes we teased him relentlessly for the rest of the night - just in case you were wondering.

The kids had a great time playing with Gradpa Bishop in his office.


The highlight of the night was the entertainment. Paul's older sister, Alicia (aka Leece), played her guitar and sang for the whole crowd. She does this for a living througout the year going back and forth between Nantucket and Hawaii. We haven't had the cash to travel to those far away places to see her sing, so it was a real treat for us to listen to her here in Utah.


I'm sad I didn't get the whole song on video. This turned out to be an enlightening experience for me. Leece hasn't had the easiest life, and yet her wonderful parents have stuck with her through thick and thin. Leece started this John Denver song by telling the audience that this was a song her dad sang to her when she was little. It was one of the first songs she learned to sing with him as a duet. And I can honestly say that he has lived up to every word of this song.

I'll walk in the rain by your side.

I'll cling to the warmth of your tiny hand.

I'll do anything to help you understand.

And I'll love you more than anybody can.

As if he promised her these words in her infancy, and he has fulfilled that promise. It was extremely moving.

She ended with another wonderful song, All Creatures of Our God and King. She really needs to cut a CD because she has written some wonderful songs of her own. If any of you know a good recording studio LET ME KNOW!

3 comments:

Matt and Kirsten said...

HAPPY 30!!! YEAH! I haven't checked your blog for awhile so I appologize if it is belated, but this is a BIG one hope it was as good as you could imagine, even if it did start with the flu!

Ryan and Amber said...

Two things.... 1. All Gardner men are fairly snappy dressers so no worries and 2. I have never heard Leece sing. Thanks for sharing - she is REALLY good!

Hermana Macy Udy said...

How fun for your family! Sounds like a wonderful evening dressed as twins and all.