Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Olympic Gold - What would YOU do?


Paul and I recorded the olympics so that we wouldn't have to watch them at 2:00 in the morning when they were on the air. In the end, however, we stayed up late watching them anyway so we could enjoy them without the kids climbing all over us! The games have been pretty captivating and hard to turn off even when the clock strikes 12.

So we are a little behind in our watching, and although the 2008 Olympics in Bejing ended on Sunday, we still have two days of olympics on our DVR waiting for us.

As we watched the USA Men's Basketball "Redeem Team" beat Spain last night for the gold medal I thought to myself, "If I could win a gold medal in ANY olympic event - what would it be?"

The immediate thought was swimming because I was on the high school swim team and I feel that of any sport, (keep in mind I am bad in all sports) swimming is probably the one I am best at.

But then I thought - "NO! If I could be good at ANY Olympic event, I wouldn't choose swimming." So I narrowed it down to two things. #1 Gymnastics - specifically the vault, and #2 Track and Field - the 100 meter sprint.

I would love to know what it felt like to take off down the track , or down the runway approaching the vault - sprinting as fast as I could. I have never been fast - I still remember p.e. class and always getting left in the dust. I would love to know what it felt like to hit the vault at top speed and launch into the air. I would love to know what it took to "stick" my landing or be the first on the track to cross the finish line. Maybe that's the reason I choose those events - because I have never been fast or graceful or strong or flexible. Those events are so far from anything I know, so far from anything I've experienced - that I would love to see what they felt like. If what all the gold medalists say are true - if you REALLY CAN achieve anything you put your mind to - then WATCH OUT LONDON!! Come 2012 there's going to be a NEW NAME in the house...but it probably won't be mine!

What would YOUR dream Olympic event be?

No comments: