Friday, October 10, 2008

DO NOT CALL!!!

I need to vent about something for a minute. I rarely use the word HATE because it's such a strong word, but I hate, I Hate, I HATE TELEPHONE SOLICITORS!!! Can I get and Amen - AMEN!! THEY are the reason Paul and I waited SO LONG to get a land line when we moved here. We finally succumbed to our fellow Vernalites and their constant pestering about how hard it was to get a hold of us and got a land line and all it has brought since then is TORMENTION! I finally registered 5 minutes ago on the National Do Not Call registry - how long does it take for that to take effect by the way? I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. ANYWAY - I put the kids down for a late nap today so that I could take a nap before I go to work tonight - that's right. I'm a nurse and I work 12 hour graveyard shifts every Friday and so a nap on these days is a very important thing. The kids had been asleep for a short while and I had just started to drift off myself when BBBBRRRRRIIIIINNNGGG!! The house was so quiet that the phone sounded even louder and I scrambled around trying to find it. By the time I found it the answering machine had already picked up which is ALSO LOUD. By now BOTH children are awake and crying - I'm about ready to join them. THERE GOES MY NAP! THIS BETTER BE IMPORTANT - and who was it? ANGELA FROM SOME STUPID "WE KNOW YOU HAVE ENORMOUS CREDIT CARD DEBT AND WE'RE HERE TO SAVE THE DAY!" COMPANY. Excuse me madam. First of all I DON'T HAVE CREDIT CARD DEBT. Secondly IF I DID I WOULDN'T COME TO YOU FOR HELP. Third - If you REALLY want people's business buck up and face them like a man - or woman. I don't want to listen to people's recorded voices PRETENDING to be really interested in me. Have you heard these people!?! Here are a few of my fav's:

"Hi I'm Dave with blah blah blah - let me get right to the point..." as if he doesn't want me to interrupt him - then when I try to interrupt him I realize he's an uninterruptable recording. AAAHHH!

or this:

"Hi there! This is Mike! I am calling with some GREAT NEWS! We are setting up FREE SATELLITE SYSTEMS IN YOUR AREA..." Yo Mike, unless your GREAT NEWS is that your wife just had her 10th child - don't call me.

and my personal favorite:

"Do NOT hang up the phone! This is an urgent message to let you know that the warranty on your car is ABOUT TO EXPIRE..." According to these people it's been "about to expire" for the last YEAR. NEWSFLASH YOU GUYS - We don't have a warranty and if we did it probably would have expired after the TWO HUGE ACCIDENTS we had in it years ago. That car doesn't have ANY of it's original parts. SO BACK OFF!

Anyone else need to vent on the subject?

4 comments:

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

AMEN and AMEN!!! Tell Amanda to shove it. and Thank you ....You just sealed the deal, I am NOT getting a land line! Love you guys! Hope you got some sleep sometime.

RaeLynn said...

PAHAHAHAHA...Great rant. I love it. It's so true, it's so ridiculous and it's so pathetic!

JoyRGardner@gmail.com said...

Paul and Natalie, Hello from your long lost Gardner cousins. Uncle Marvin guided us to your blog so we could touch base with you. Quin and I live in southern Oregon JUST four hours south of Kent & Kristin. Quin finally finished dental school, and we moved out here this summer for him to join a dental practice. If only we didn't have those darn student loans we would be rolling in the dough! We have our two kids: Noelle is 6, and Tian is 2. Anyways, we are glad to touch base with you. Your Rachel and Ben are beautiful. Our emails as JoyRGardner@gmail.com and QuinGardner@gmail.com
Best wishes,
Joy & Quin Gardner

Aggieland Mom said...

AMEN sista! Steve gets those warranty calls on his office phone and it drives him crazy. But our worst problem is (we don't have a land line) Door-to-Door Salesman!!! AHHHHH!! For months I've been saying that we need to put a "NO SOLICITORS" sign on our door, I'm about to go crazy! I had one today who was trying to get me to sign up for a FREE carpet cleaning (yah right). I said no thank you and quickly shut the door as he's saying "Are you sure? It's free!" News Flash, I'm not an idiot. NOTHING is free. AHHH! Where do I find those signs?