Today is my dad's birthday. He is 50-something but still plays like he's 20-something (which makes my mom nervous!) My college roommates started calling him Papa Watts and it stuck. That is what the grandkids call him now. When I was in high school my dad was Mr. Mom. At that time in our family's life my mom went back to work full time while my dad was the stay-at-home parent. It was the best thing that could have happened to our family at that time. He was so involved in my life-knowing all the details about boys I liked, friends, school-work, etc. I remember him waking me up for 5:30 am swim practice, taking me and all my friends in "the beast" (the van I rolled right before my mission) to parties and dances and football games. My dad would even stay for some of the football games - it gave him a sense of nostalgia as he watched me as a sophomore cheerleader at the football games because HE was a cheerleader in high school - and I am so proud to tell that to everyone. This little video is a perfect example of my dad.
On Saturdays Papa Watts would bust out the griddle and make pancakes while dancing in the kitchen. Some of his favorite tunes to rock out to were "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green, "I'll Take You There" by the Staple Singers, and then of course anything by Michael Jackson. He taught us how to dance - he knew he had all the moves. This video is a tribute to him.
My dad taught me about the fundamentals of life - The Beatles, JFK, and how to change a flat tire. He made sure we always had everything we needed, and that we were always where we were supposed to be, when we were supposed to be there. He set the example for me by always being where he was supposed to be when He was supposed to be there. I never saw him miss an opportunity to serve someone in the ward, often throwing on a white shirt and tie to go give someone in the ward a blessing at 10:00 at night. He was always THERE. Always when I needed him. Whether it was encouraging me to run for office and getting me to the school to put up posters, or picking me and a friend up from a scary gas station in Brigham City after we hit a deer driving down Sardine Canyon, I could ALWAYS depend on my dad.
And I could ALWAYS depend on his faith.
He knew I was going to go on a mission before I did, but he stood back and let me come to that conclusion myself and then reinforced my decision with his own faith. He knew I was going to marry Paul before I did, but he stood back to let me make that decision too. After he met Paul for the FIRST TIME I crawled in my parent's bed and said, "well on a scale of 1-10 what do you think" my dad yelled, "10! 10! 10! If you don't marry him you might as well go down to Las Vegas and pick up any Joe on the street and marry him because you are NEVER going to find anyone as good as this guy!" He was right! My dad was the patriarch of our home and I could always trust his "gut feeling" and he taught me how to trust mine.
So Dad, this is a late post-dated post - but I want you to know I love you. Happy Birthday!
Love Nan
On Saturdays Papa Watts would bust out the griddle and make pancakes while dancing in the kitchen. Some of his favorite tunes to rock out to were "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green, "I'll Take You There" by the Staple Singers, and then of course anything by Michael Jackson. He taught us how to dance - he knew he had all the moves. This video is a tribute to him.
My dad taught me about the fundamentals of life - The Beatles, JFK, and how to change a flat tire. He made sure we always had everything we needed, and that we were always where we were supposed to be, when we were supposed to be there. He set the example for me by always being where he was supposed to be when He was supposed to be there. I never saw him miss an opportunity to serve someone in the ward, often throwing on a white shirt and tie to go give someone in the ward a blessing at 10:00 at night. He was always THERE. Always when I needed him. Whether it was encouraging me to run for office and getting me to the school to put up posters, or picking me and a friend up from a scary gas station in Brigham City after we hit a deer driving down Sardine Canyon, I could ALWAYS depend on my dad.
And I could ALWAYS depend on his faith.
He knew I was going to go on a mission before I did, but he stood back and let me come to that conclusion myself and then reinforced my decision with his own faith. He knew I was going to marry Paul before I did, but he stood back to let me make that decision too. After he met Paul for the FIRST TIME I crawled in my parent's bed and said, "well on a scale of 1-10 what do you think" my dad yelled, "10! 10! 10! If you don't marry him you might as well go down to Las Vegas and pick up any Joe on the street and marry him because you are NEVER going to find anyone as good as this guy!" He was right! My dad was the patriarch of our home and I could always trust his "gut feeling" and he taught me how to trust mine.
So Dad, this is a late post-dated post - but I want you to know I love you. Happy Birthday!
Love Nan
1 comment:
I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. What a great tribute. Dads are so important!
I love the relationship you have with your parents. They are both such neat people.
Those videos were great too.
Post a Comment