Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone! This year was the first Halloween that Rachel really "GOT IT". It took a lot of explaining over and over, but once she put on her costume and went trick or treating she lit up and I could see the wheels turning in her head, "OOOOOHHHH so THIS is Halloween! I can DIG THIS!!" We started out the festivities on Monday with a PUMPKIN family home evening. We had pumpkin-shaped pizza for dinner...


pumpkin pie for dessert...


and carved pumpkins for our activity. (Can you guess which Y...I mean ONE is Paul's?)


Then on Wednesday we went to the library/county building for trick-or-treating. That's when Rach really figured out this whole Halloween thing.

Finally-tonight we had our ward Halloween party. Paul dressed up in his Dodgers garb - and I was about to call that a costume-cop-out until we showed up at the ward and ALL the men were dressed up in jerseys. I was going to have him stand next to Bro. Barton who was dressed in Red Sox garb to take a picture and call it "World Series Wannabe's" but they wouldn't let me...still a touchy subject I guess.


After dinner and carnival games we went out to "trunk or treat". Whoever invented the idea of "trunk-or-treating" needs to run for president. It took 10 minutes to walk around the parking lot, fill the princess bucket to OVER FLOWING and call it good.


No more walking around in the dark cold night for an hour or more. No more going from house to house and telling the kids "don't go to that house because we're not sure about it". No more trying to corral the kids together and keep them from running in the streets dodging cars. It was GREAT!! There are a lot of "the-way-things-used-to-be-isms" that I really miss - Elementary school costume parades, Halloween class parties, etc. etc. With all the safety issues they don't do those anymore here. Kids can't wear their costumes at all to school! That's makes me sad. But I don't miss trick-or-treating. TRUNK-or-treating is the way to go!

My "Gypsy" costume is actually a CHITENGE from Malawi. A sweet sister in my branch there would wear this dress almost every Sunday to church. I would always tell her how beautiful she looked and how gorgeous her dress was. On my last Sunday in church there, before I went home, she came to church with this dress wrapped up and gave it to me as a goodbye present. It was wonderful. I cried and tried to give it back but she insisted I take it to remember her and to remember Africa. I wear it ever year and think of her.
Windy and I were pregnant with these two at the same time so we found it serendipitous that they were Tigger and Pooh for Halloween!

Have you ever seen the movie "Ever After" with Drew Barrymore? Well Rachel and I watched it the other day. She loved it. I would point out the characters and explain the story line as it happened and how it mirrored the Disney Cinderella movie. She loved the part where Drew Barrymore comes to the masquerade ball dressed like an angel. When she got her angel costume on tonight I said, "Oh Rachel you are such a BEAUTIFUL ANGEL!" She said, "NO Mom, I'm Cinderella DRESSED as an angel!" Oh yeah, sorry, I should have known! Duh Mom!


Ben got hold of Rachel's blue raspberry ring-pop when she wasn't looking. WHAT A MESS!


We hope you all have a Great Halloween (and a good dental plan---SHEESH!)

7 comments:

Aggieland Mom said...

Ah I just love your posts. You guys are so funny! I have that picture of you in your African garb on our board next to our computer! Cute, cute, pictures! Rachel cracks me up.

Aggieland Mom said...

I find out what we're having in 5 weeks! December 5th, I'll be sure to post it on our blog. By the way, we were showing Alex the pictures of Rach and saying that she was his best friend when we lived in Rexburg and he says, "Yeah, I love her." Then he starts singing the primary tune, "I love her, she loves me..." hahaha

PNRBAC said...

Sweet! I'll start drawing up the betrothal papers right now. Let's find a nice university that Paul and Steve can both teach at and a couple of beautiful houses next door to each other so we can share the grandkids.

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

The greatest angel/Cinderella combo I have ever seen! And "Y" did have to do a "Y".....Nat you should have "engaged"! What a great Halloween and gorgeous kids - trunk or treat baby - all the way!

Love you guys...so glad to see you had the happiest of Halloweens and may I just say, who the heack had betty crocker locked ina closet, pumpkin shaped pizza and pumpkin pie - yummmm!!

RaeLynn said...

total LOL on the dental plan joke. SERIOUSLY. These pictures are so cute. I'm glad you had a great Halloween. I have to agree about the Trunk or Treat. GENIUS.

Heather English said...

So cute Nat! Hope you are doing well. Your kids look adorable.

janet said...

Trunk or Treats are absolutely the coolest social gathering ever. So much better than actual halloween night.

love the costumes!