That is a VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION! So I'm stuck with unscheduled nappers. Some days they do, some days they don't.
And it drives me nuts.
Because when they nap they end up going to bed much later (9:30-10:00-ish as opposed to 8:00-8:30-ish). However they are much happier children in the evenings if they nap. They eat their dinner better, and they are simply more pleasant to be around. But if we can get through the day with no naps, the kids can go to be MUCH earlier which leaves more evening time with the hubby...
SO WHAT DO I DO?!
4 comments:
For what it is worth, here are my two cents.
We've gone through the exact same problem with both our kids. With #1 I fought big time and was adamant that Gracie take her afternoon nap. This went on for too long (in my retrospectively enhanced opinion). Then I finally gave up and had a grouchy girl in the evenings. But that only lasted a little while. Once she got used to it we were all so happy. And I had some evening time back. When our #2 decided to start playing through his nap time I didn't sweat it. Some days he naps and goes to bed later, and most days he stays awake. Some days dinner time is really rough- he doesn't eat super well as it is. But more and more he is happy through out the whole day and the kids both are in bed 7:30-8:00.
I guess my one suggestion would be to try an even earlier bed time on the grouchy nights. We had one night this week where I took Grant from the dinner table directly to bed. He hadn't eaten very much dinner and missed scripture and prayer time, but he was out around 7:00 and then was so much better the next day.
It is a tough call because that kid-free time during afternoon naps is as valuable as the kid-free time in the evening... Good luck!
Wow, I am going through the exact same thing and a 10:00 bedtime is getting old! I'm fighting for a nap, because I read somewhere that naps help them sleep better at night, and so far that's true for us. If Abbie skips a nap, she's not only grouchy, she wakes up a few times during the night. Besides, 22 months seems way too young to stop napping to me. And let's be honest, that afternoon time is SO nice. Without it, we're both a little cranky. :)
Let me know how it works out for you. Good luck Nat!
my suggestion is simply to cancel naptime and move dinner time up to about 4 pm for them. start winding down about 7 and in bed by 8. I am a very scheduled mom.
I am a firm (and strict) believer in nap time!
I don't know if it would work in your life, but once Collin reached the no nap stage (which happened a LOT later than most kids) he still had to have quiet time. In his room, by himself for a few hours.
Even if they don't sleep, they need the down time and so do you.
But, I only had one to deal with and you have two...so it may not work. My way may not be your way.
Good luck!!
Post a Comment