Saturday, February 20, 2010

P.J.'s Birthday

Paul is 30. That's right - the big 3-0! And I have spent MONTHS trying to figure out what to do for such a wonderful person on such a huge milestone of a day. You see he is NOT the type of person who is easily suprised - and to tell you the truth he really doesn't LIKE suprises that much. I could never decorate his classroom at school, and suprise parties are right out. So what do I do? How do I shop for the man who likes to shop for himself. We get him golf balls and socks every year because that is the only thing I can buy without him with me to pick it out. And I just couldn't bring myself to give him those things this time. Not for his 30th birthday. I was stuck.
Then it happened.

Some wonderful friends of ours, the G family, were in the process of building a house. They couldn't keep their dog, Roxy (a purebred golden retriever), around the house during the process so they had some people keep her for them. During her interm away from home she got pregnant by a half border collie, half great pyrenees and on New Year's Eve had a litter of puppies. We went over to their house one sunday for dinner and they mentioned the bind they were in with these new puppies. They wouldn't be able to sell them because they weren't purebred. Paul fell in love with Chloe and we went home thinking for the first time in a long time about having a dog.
And suddenly I had an epiphone.
HIS BIRTHDAY!! The puppies wouldn't be old enough to leave until then, and in the mean time I could tell him I just don't think now is a good time for a dog. It would be the ultimate gift. Something HE picked out HIMSELF but had NO idea was coming. Something he has been asking for SINCE WE WERE MARRIED. Something he would NEVER EXPECT. So I spent the next month convincing MYSELF that I was ready to have a dog in the house and that this life change wasn't just happening because I wanted to give Paul the ultimate birthday present. Believe me - it took me a LONG TIME to come to terms with the decision.

I had everyone on board. The G family played it up so well! "Oh sorry Paul as soon as you told me you didn't want her she was the first one to go!" Paul fell for it hook line and sinker. He had NO IDEA. So we walked in the door, carrying the little darling with a big fat red bow around her collar and singing happy birthday. IT WAS AWESOME!! The smile on his face was permanent. I suddenly found myself in a time warp looking at my husband as a 10 year old kid who just got a puppy for his birthday. Every bit of "BOY" and "KID" that my husband has in him suddenly seeped from the innermost depths of his being and lit him up like a...like a....well...like a kid getting a new puppy!
Let me show you.
Paul kissing Chloe.
Paul wrestling with Chloe.
Chloe wrestling with Paul.
Chloe beating Paul.
Make up hugs.
Mission Accomplished.
Happy Birthday Babe. Welcome to the family Chloe sweety. We sure love you!

2 comments:

Amy Miller said...

Way to go Nat! I hope I can come up with something awesome like that for Jon's 30th... too bad I can't steal your dog idea - he would react the same way. I hope you're enjoying life with Chloe.

Matt and Kirsten said...

Kirsten has the same issue with me- so hard to shop for. This year she took me to Cabelas and gave me a budget and I went crazy. Paul we are getting so old. I thought for sure the dog was going to be doomed to be called "Jimmer" and would have stomach problems and low energy the rest of its life. :)
Happy birthday brotha.
-Chit