Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Training The Bud

I used to clip diaper coupons like crazy. Those suckers are expensive so I took every dollar off I could get. I found one in my grocery sack this morning - $3 OFF! YAHOO!
Then I realized it.
I don't need it.

The Bud is POTTY TRAINING.


A wave of emotion hit me unexpectedly. It was a double edged sword (a plastic one, but double edged nonetheless). At first I thought, "YES!! We've GRADUATED FROM DIAPERS!! FINALLY!!" Then the bitter aftertaste followed close behind - "My baby isn't a baby anymore. He's growing up. And there isn't a little one in the forecast yet to assume the position of diaper wearer in our home. Bummer." Don't get me wrong. It will be a nice respite from diapers however long it lasts, but it tugs at the heart strings to see your babies grow up.



Fortunately potty training keeps me busy enough not to dwell on the other stuff for too long.

And with said training a host of new words have entered our 3 year old's vocabulary. No profanity - just potty talk. Suddenly this once abstract physical phenomenon has become the front runner of bodily functions and thus the center of every song, joke, and conversation (for the kids, not the parents). Paul and I just sit back with bewildered looks on our faces..."We didn't teach them this? Where are they getting this? Do we need to have a talk with the neighbor kids' parents?" No. We don't. Because it seems to be (especially for boys) part of the package in potty training.

As I sit here typing Ben is in the bathroom giggling uncontrollably. "What's so funny?" I ask, afraid to know the answer. "I TOOTED!!!" is his reply followed with the most joyful laughter in the world.

Ah the physical body. A wonder and a miracle and a source of endless laughs.

1 comment:

Matt and Kirsten said...

Your pictutres are fantastic! love them - what a hansom 3 year old