I feel calm and content and happy. I didn't always feel this way. After #2 was born I struggled...a LOT. I didn't have the perspective then that I have now. I realize now that everything has a time and a season. I am learning to love the season I am in knowing that it just doesn't last forever and that if I don't enjoy it now I will have nothing wonderful to look back on and remember later.
Our family is right smack in the middle of winter - both literally and figuratively. I literally took my 7-year-old to school the other day and it was -6. That's right people...6 DEGREES BELOW ZERO AT 8:30 IN THE MORNING. I'm putting in for Arizona or Las Vegas on our next transfer.
But figuratively the winter of our life is very sweet. We have dug in to hibernate as a family. Having 4 kids, 2 of them being tiny, we really can't go and do the things we used to. Eating out is expensive and a pain with a high chair and a car seat. Going grocery shopping whenever I want is impossible. I should get a medal for getting the kids to church all by myself each Sunday (and we just switched to 9:00 church - heaven help us). And we haven't even attempted the trek to the Wasatch front. 2 pack and plays? Are you kidding me? We need a separate trailer just to haul all our gear alone!
Our family is right smack in the middle of winter - both literally and figuratively. I literally took my 7-year-old to school the other day and it was -6. That's right people...6 DEGREES BELOW ZERO AT 8:30 IN THE MORNING. I'm putting in for Arizona or Las Vegas on our next transfer.
But figuratively the winter of our life is very sweet. We have dug in to hibernate as a family. Having 4 kids, 2 of them being tiny, we really can't go and do the things we used to. Eating out is expensive and a pain with a high chair and a car seat. Going grocery shopping whenever I want is impossible. I should get a medal for getting the kids to church all by myself each Sunday (and we just switched to 9:00 church - heaven help us). And we haven't even attempted the trek to the Wasatch front. 2 pack and plays? Are you kidding me? We need a separate trailer just to haul all our gear alone!
But while there are a lot of things we CAN'T do in this proverbial winter of our lives, there are a lot of things we are LOVING. First of all we snuggle...a LOT. In case I wasn't clear enough before, it gets down to -20 some nights. I know I know. I saw a polar bear cross our street the other day followed by some friendly penguins. We have pulled every blanket we own out of storage and we have snuggle fests each night as we sip hot cocoa and watch Duck Dynasty. (Have you seen that yet? love.it.) And I love having the added excuse for extra snuggle time. "Gotta feed the baby!" Hey if I'm going to be tied up nursing all day it might as well be in the winter when I'm cold and don't want to be out and about anyway! We have also had some great times as a family. Baking, fort building, story reading, wii competitions, movies, puzzles, sledding, and snowman building top the list. I know the babies won't stay babies forever. I want to enjoy it instead of wishing they would grow up so I can have a little more freedom. That day will come soon enough and when it does I want to have wonderful memories of THIS season to look back on.
5 comments:
You're so so right. Been thinking a lot a out this same thing. Seasons come and go in all aspects. We've got to enjoy the "season" we are in. Before we know it things will be different. And I know we will miss it.
Well said. I may need to come back to this post every once in a while when I frustrated with the season I'm in. I still can't believe you have 4 kids...and they are so dang cute!
thank you for saying exactly what i need to hear! I hope i can remember this in my own crazy life!
Great insights, Nat. What a wonderful season you guys are in!
I love your attitude. It is so important to enjoy the season you are in, so when it's over you don't just wonder how, but you have wonderful memories. Love your blog!
Post a Comment