Okay, let me start out by saying I am a firm believer in the 5 second rule. I am not a germ-a-phobe if I were I wouldn't be a nurse. I figure by using the 5 second rule (for most things mind you - NOT EVERYTHING) I am just building my kids immune systems. I'm convinced that's why I survived my mission in Africa, I had a very advanced immune system my mom helped me build. ANYWAY - back to the story...
I had just hauled the kids all over Vernal...granted Vernal isn't very big but it still takes a lot out of you! We stopped at Wendy's to buy lunch because I didn't have it in me to go home and fix it and bring it back to Paul at work. We pulled up to Paul's work a bit before his last class got out so we waited patiently in the car until it was over. Finally I unbuckled Rachel from her carseat, grabbed the drink (a 32oz. lemonade) and the food (2 burgers, fries, a salad, and chicken nuggets) and stuck them ON TOP OF THE CAR while I proceded to get Ben. BAD MOVE. NEVER EVER PUT YOUR FOOD ON TOP OF THE CAR - ALWAYS PUT IT ON THE GROUND! IT CAN'T FALL FROM THERE! That is exactly what happened. As soon as I set the food up the drink started to tip over. I tried to save it and as I did so the bag with all the food fell to the ground dumping it's contents all over the cement. The drink ended up flying across the roof of the car spilling it's contents down the windows and into the car. So I did what any good mom would do...
1-I didn't swear - that was the hardest part
2-I took a deep breath
3-I scooped up the fries and put them back into the bag with the other food and took them into Paul for lunch and didn't tell him I had just picked them all up off the cement in the parking lot. 5 SECOND RULE!! (I sure hope he doesn't read this post)
So I don't want anyone telling me of "this one time..." or "I had a friend who...". Don't send me YouTube clips from Mythbusters or any other science show telling me how the 5 second rule is false. That's like telling someone how hotdogs are made while they are in the middle of eating a hotdog (one of my pet peaves). Unless you are a 5 second ruler yourself I don't want you to respond to this post.
3 comments:
Oh Nat. Oh Nat. The joys of motherhood. I'm so proud of you for not just bawling on the scene...that's what I felt like doing just reading it.
5 second rule...or whatever it takes ahoy!
5 seconds?? Shoot, if it doesn't have hair, poo, or lint on it, no matter how long, it's fair game.....adds nutrition too, I'd wager! Sorry Paul! Ha!
-Kent & Kris
I believe that whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. You were doing Paul a favor by making him stronger.
My 4 yr old ate ABC gum from under a table once and he didn't get sick, so I doubt the sidewalk will do it.
Cute story though....
Post a Comment