Thursday, September 18, 2008

Homecoming in Vernal

Last weekend was homecoming week at Uinta High School here in Vernal. This is a big deal people. Since there is only ONE high school in Vernal, and since everyone in town has a kid or grand kid that goes to Uinta, the whole town gets involved. On Friday before the big game they block off Main Street and have a parade. Once Rachel heard that they throw candy at parades she was off and running - gathering her clothes and shoes and heading for the car! Unfortunately it turns out candy throwing at parades is now prohibited. Everyone in the parade had to sign a contract saying they wouldn't throw candy off the floats. I guess it has become too dangerous with little kids running out into the street to get the candy, and other kids getting pegged in the face with candy when they're not watching. Fortunately there were a few kids who would JUMP OFF THE FLOATS and run to the curbside to give out candy - which is safer? Jumping off a moving float or getting pegged in the head? Anyway Rachel got her candy, we cheered for the marching band, and a good time was had by all.








P.S. Did I mention that my husband - a DIE HARD BYU COUGAR - teaches at UINTA...home of the UINTA UTES!! And did I mention their colors are RED and WHITE? And did I mention that the Utes greatest rivals are the Union COUGARS in Roosevelt? heh heh heh

1 comment:

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

I don't know if I should be frigtened of a town having a parade for a high school reunion...maybe you should consider not going to the actual reunion...they started Karaoke there would be no exit!! Miss that little Rachey! Love you.