Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Journey to "THERE"

Sometimes it's good just to take a drive. My dad instilled that in me. Whenever he was feeling crowded and cramped and overwhelmed he would say, "We're going for a drive!" and we'd all pile in the car on a Sunday afternoon and drive and drive and drive. We'd see the fall leaves, we'd check out a cool rock, and sometimes we'd just get lost. At least my siblings and I FELT lost after driving for a couple hours on bumpy roads in the back of a van shouting "are we there yet?!" Most of the time my dad didn't know where "there" was.


For me "THERE" isn't in this life. It is Eternal life with my Father in Heaven and my family. So - no - we're not there yet. And since I won't get "there" in this life, I am learning that this life is about enjoying the journey.

We learned this to some degree yesterday. We spent labor day driving and driving and driving on dirt roads. It seemed tedious after a while and I had to remind myself a few times WHAT we were doing and WHY we were doing it. I had to remind myself that this was an "enjoy the journey trip". Once I did that I saw things like this...


and this...


and Paul caught things like this...


and when we finally got to the "THERE" on the map it was so cold that we didn't stick around for more than 10 minutes. 10 MINUTES!! YES that's RIGHT! We drove 3 hours for 10 minutes of THERE.

But I'd spend a lifetime to capture a moment like THIS.








On our way home from "There" (which by the way was Spirit Lake in the Uintas) we stopped at Red Canyon Cafe at Flaming Gorge to eat and capture one more moment.



It was a wonderful trip - we made a wonderful memory - and after all, making memories with the ones we love is how we enjoy the journey to "THERE"!

5 comments:

val said...

your post made me teary. thanks for enjoying the journey and sharing with us. love ya.

janet said...

GORGEOUS pictures. wow. and the family shot.. needs to be framed and hanging on your wall. What a fun trip!

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

There...so relative and fleeting and perfect and heavenly. What a great post and beautiful pics. I am so happy that those tender mercies were given to you...they couldn't be given to a more deserving woman. You're amazing!

Heidi said...

What great pictures!! What a fun thing to do!! I love road trips. I've been on some great road trips with you Nat, great memories!! I am so glad we met up last month, your family is so DARLING!!

Love you!

Heidi said...

Nan!! These pictures are amazing! What a fun thing to do, road trips are the best!! I've been on a lot of great road trips with you, lots of great memories. I am so glad we were able to see each other last month. Your family is darling!!

Love you!