Friday, April 17, 2009

29

If I was turning 23 I'd probably write down 23 reasons I love my life. If I was turning 24 I'd make a list of 24 things I wanted to accomplish before I turned 25. And if I was turning 25 I'd blog about all of the twists and turns life had taken me on in the last 25 years. But I'm not turning any of those. I'm not even turning 26, 27, or 28. Today I turned 29. 29. 29. That just sounds old. No it doesn't just sound old - it sounds boring. What do you DO when you turn 29? The tag line when people turn 16 is, "Hey! Gettin' that drivers license! Everyone stay off the sidewalks!" Hardee har har. When people turn 18 it's, "Hey you can VOTE now!" hooray for me. When it's 21 you're "legal" when it's 25 you're "established" but when it's 29?

"Yeah I just turned 29 today."
"Wow PUSHIN' 30 HUH?"

yep. pushin' 30.

I don't feel 30. I don't even feel 29. Well maybe my body does. My mother-in-law asked me on Sunday if I really was turning 29. No one believed me. I actually had to sit and think about it for a minute myself, "let me think...born in 1980, this year is 2009...YEP turning 29."

Maybe it's because I feel like I should have life more figured out than I do. I can't pull the "rookie" card anymore. I feel a little jipped because I thought becoming an adult was supposed to bring with it an infusion of magical hormones similar to when you hit puberty. But instead of changing your body it would change your brain and make things like paying bills on time and keeping your house clean a snap. "Discipline Hormones" or "Grown-up Hormones". Then people could just give you a pat on the back when you were struggling and say, "Don't worry - you're just a late bloomer! You'll hit grown-up puberty soon enough!" And instead of saying, "When you hit puberty we'll have to lock the doors to keep the boys away!" They'll say, "When you hit grown-up puberty we'll have to lock the doors to keep out Martha Stewart, Merry Maids, Betty Crocker, and Super Nanny from wanting to steal all of your successful secrets!"

Well truth be told - when I hit puberty in high school (and I was a LATE BLOOMER) I didn't have any boys knocking my door down.

And today - turning 29 - I don't think I'll see Martha Stewart either.

Since I don't have any inkling of "Grown-up super hormone" surging through my body to make me do amazing things I'll have to head back to the drawing board. I'll make a list. This list is a 2 part list. Birthday candle style. Since I don't want to make a list of 29 things - I'm making a list of 2 and 9. 2 things I hate about being 29, and 9 things I love about it- or hope to love about it in the next year.

Things I hate

1-Insomnia.
In high school I could sleep any time - any where. Unfortunately between getting up in the night with the kids, sleeping with one eye and two ears open all night, and working a grave yard shift once a week at the hospital - my sleep pattern is indefinately screwed up. Even on good nights - the kids sleep soundly, Paul doesn't snore, I don't have to work - I still wake up in the middle of the night and it takes me at least an hour to get back to sleep. Yet I don't dare take a sleeping pill because what if the kids DO wake up and I don't hear them. *sigh*
2-Sagginess.
Sags sags sags. Sags under the eyes. Sags under the chin. Relief society sags under the arms. A saggy deriere. Bearing children makes you saggy. Period.

Things I love and will look forward to.

Hmmmmmm. Thinking.....

I'll have to get back to you on that one.

6 comments:

Heather English said...

I'm with ya Nat! I turn 29 next month and I am not looking forward to it. Might as well be 30, huh? 1980 seems like forever ago when I think about it. My YW are cute though. They told me they thought I was 23 or maybe 24 at the most. Ya right!

Karen said...

I turned 29 last October. It doesn't seem much different then
28. And the saggy, that happens after you have kids no matter what age you are. I do hope you have a Wonderfully Fabulous Birthday!
Karen G-Y

Carol Lambert said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY from somebody that can barely even remember 29! From my perspective -- old as the hills-- you are just gettin' started, girl!

Loved looking at your blog and seeing such darling pictures of you and your family. THAT is the blessing being 29 -- a good husband and those beautiful children. Unfortunately, the age and children deal does come with the side effects of messed-up sleep and creative sagging!

ENJOY your special day and give your awesome mother a call and thank her. Remember, she is also aging,sleep deprived and doing a little sagging of her own! (I can only say those things because I am way older than her, so she will forgive me!)

Carol

Amy Miller said...

Nat, you are so cute! I love how much we have in common and how our brains seem to be on the same wavelength!

You describe the sagging issue to a tee! I went swimsuit shopping yesterday and let's just say, I'm not 20 anymore... I'm not even 27 anymore. :)

Happy Birthday!!

Andrea said...

I am turning 30 next week and I think I am having a "mid-life crisis". Wait... does that mean I am middle aged, is that what the "mid" refers to??? I know exactly how you feel. Enjoy your twenties while you can...

Andrea said...

I am turning 30 next week and I think I am having a mid-life crisis. WAIT...does that mean that I am now middle aged, is that what the "mid" is referring to??? Well, anyway, I completely understand how you feel. Just enjoy your twenties while you can...