I recall a story my mom shared often with us growing up. It was one of those "gems" - a story with a moral or lesson she hoped would impact us and shape our lives. My mom is full of wisdom like that - if you don't believe me go here or here.
Heber C. Kimball lived with the other early saints in Nauvoo, Illinois. He and his family lived in a small log cabin and worked very hard to build themselves a beautiful brick home which still stands today. Kimball and his family felt the persecution against the saints grow, but they finished their home just the same. They only lived in that home for 5 months before they were forced to abandon everything and move west. This example has taught me an important lesson to grow where you're planted. You never know what the Lord has in store for you, but instead of "flying under the radar" and not committing to anything, you dig your roots in and do the best you can as if you'll be there forever.
I can honestly say that every place I have lived in I have tried to keep that mindset - I really try to build the brick home KNOWING that I'll only live in it a few months. But that's the problem. I can handle ANY situation for a few months. Any home (I've lived in some DOOZIES), any calling, any job. It's kind of cheating in a way - because I'm good at throwing my whole heart into something I can see an end to.
That's where I'm stuck. We have lived in this house, in this neighborhood, in this ward longer than I've lived anywhere since I graduated high school. A few months ago I started getting an itch to move. I don't know why - we are perfectly happy here. But I was itching and I even found myself perusing the newspaper's housing section. CRAZY. That's when I realized that for the last 10 years of my life every time I start feeling this itch - we move. We were missionaries, students, basement trolls, renters - - transients! Moving was part of the package.
This time we're not moving.
This time it's not about "getting out" of situations by moving - it's about "getting THROUGH" them. It's about learning "staying power". I love what President Uchtdorf said in the last General Conference,
"Brothers and sisters, we have to stay with it. We don’t acquire eternal life in a sprint—this is a race of endurance. We have to apply and reapply the divine gospel principles. Day after day we need to make them part of our normal life.
Normal life. Moving 15 times in the last 10 years is not normal. Which is why living in the house we are in now for 2 years this June doesn't feel normal to me either. For the last 10 years I have been sprinting. Sprinting from one home, one calling, one job - to the next. Now is my time to learn endurance. Now is my time to apply and then reapply and reapply gospel principles in my life.
Now is my time to Grow where I'm planted.
No comments:
Post a Comment