Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Hobby?...


Have you ever been asked what your hobbies and interests are? I'm sure you have - in a job interview, in a relief society questionnaire, in a blog tag... I've been asked this question plenty of times.

My answers were different when I was in high school and college than they are now. In fact I don't even KNOW what my hobbies are now! Does changing diapers or doing dishes count? In high school and college my answers ranged from hiking and rappelling, to swimming and biking, to going to movies and being with friends.

Now? Hmmm...thinking....I have NO IDEA. Honestly. There have been periods in the last couple of years when I have really resented not having a past time. Paul will go golfing with the guys - which I love and totally support him in by the way - but then he'll come home and say something like, "Hey why don't you go get lost for a couple of hours and have some YOU time." Me time? What do I do with that? I mean don't get me wrong - I would LOVE to have some me time - but wandering around Wal-Mart for 2 hours isn't my idea of a hobby. Plus when the house is a disaster, the kids are screaming, I have a Young Women's lesson or a mutual activity to plan, or a million-and-a-half other things on the list of "to-do's" to accomplish I just can't justify "Me Time".

Then my sweet husband sent this quote to me today:

"Sisters, find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests. Pick one or two things that you would like to learn or do that will enrich your life, and make time for them. Water cannot be drawn from an empty well and if you are not setting aside a little time for what replenishes you, you will have less and less to give to others, even to your children. Avoid any kind of substance abuse, mistakenly thinking that it will help you accomplish more. And don't allow yourself to be caught up in the time-wasting, mind-numbing things like television soap operas or surfing the Internet. Turn to the Lord in faith, and you will know what to do and how to do it." - M. Russell Ballard

Maybe I resent the fact that I really can't do all the things I did in high school anymore. I'm out of shape, out of energy, and not really willing to take the risks that I did when I was younger. I constantly think to myself, "how will this activity I'm doing today affect me tomorrow?" I can't afford to be laid up for weeks because I broke my legs trying to ski black diamonds, (just so you know I have NEVER been able to ski a black diamond - right Amy M.?) Maybe in that resentment I just resign myself to the fact that my "hobby" is my family. WHICH IT IS! Every spare moment is spent with my kids. Every bit of free time from the kids is spent with my husband. Every moment I have to clear my head - it fills right back up with thoughts of my family. I love it. It's what I want. They aren't just IN my life - they ARE my life and I wouldn't want it any other way. But after reading that quote - and having a few break-down's here and there over the past couple of years - I realize that it's unhealthy to be consumed like this. I need to refill the tank. I need balance. I need ME time. I just don't know what the heck to do with it.

So now I'm looking for help. What do YOU do with your "ME" time? It needs to be safe, inexpensive, and manageable - I'm in no position to train for a triathlon people. ANY IDEAS?!!!

3 comments:

Amy Miller said...

Okay, so I thought of three things as I read your post. First, what the heck is my hobby?! I'm seriously in the same boat and it's time to make a change.

Second, it reminded me of a story from your mom's book - almost identical.

Third, the quote made me realize that I'm wasting a LOT of time blog hopping and internet surfing today, it's time to be proactive.

Let me know what you figure out!

The Gwilliams said...

That's so funny you wrote this about YOU because it sounds just like ME! Ez and I have had this same conversation plenty of times. He always plays basketball on Tuesdays with some of the boys in his seminary after school. He always asks me what I would like to do and says he'll support me in anything, but I just can't think of what I would do. I guess if you come up with any ideas, please share because I'm with ya there. BTW, I was glad to read the quote you shared again. It's perfect!

Nicol said...

This is something that I totally had to work at. My interest have changed big time since the teenage years. So what do I do? I love to write! I love to decorate. And right now with the nice weather, I love being outside with a shovel in hand gardening. I love the quote you posted. I have heard it before but I think I need to reminder to really culitvate my talents. There are sesvearl things that I would love to improve on. I don't think that I will get to the point of calling it a talent, but two things I really want to spend more time on is playing the piano and singing!