We didn't.
A few months ago I posted about a fitness challenge that my husband and I had embarked on - which really WAS a challenge -and...drumroll....WE DID IT!! We went 2 MONTHS without sugar, and we exercised 5 days a week. It was so awesome. It was so fulfilling. We did it and we did it together. I felt so energized physically and mentally. I felt like I had overcome some HUGE hurdle and it was empowering.
And then we tanked.
Yep. As soon as the calendar read MARCH we let the sugar flow. Now that it's not "against the rules" to eat sugar - we have let it back into our lives FULL FORCE! While on the sugar fast we would say things like, "I don't even miss it!" Now we are saying things like "OHHH look at those Krispy Kream Donuts! Remember when we couldn't eat those?! It's been so long - let's get double!
This is exactly why contestants on "Biggest Loser" gain it all back and more once the show is over and the prize money is dealt out. Game's over. It's no longer a contest. It's no longer against the "rules" to live that way.
That's when I realized that changing your life is a daily process. You can't "try it for a month" and hope to be changed. It takes a lot more. The trial process taught me that it's worth it, but now I need to change mentally and realize that a healthy body AND SPIRIT isn't just something you can choose once. You have to keep choosing it every day. I think that's the difference between having a TESTIMONY and being CONVERTED. I have a testimony that going without sugar makes my body feel really good. But I'm obviously not converted. So that got me to thinking...what ELSE in my life do I ONLY have a testimony of? It's a scary thing to think about. Upon introspection I have found there are a lot of areas of my life lacking TRUE CONVERSION. So I'm going to make a list of those things for myself and during General Conference this weekend I am going to pray and search for help in becoming converted to life - every single day.
2 comments:
First of all, way to go on the no sweets for those couple of months! Ez & I attempted it, but we failed miserably! We were glad to see sweets weren't involved in this challenge!
On the other hand, thank you for your insight on what you learned. I'm definitely going to be thinking of areas in my life where I'm not truly converted. I like your goal for conference as well...I think I'll make my own list.
General Conference was the most needed amazing thing ever! It made me homesick for you guys though.
And for the record....sugar was meant to be right, right, maybe?!
You are amazing...Love you!
Post a Comment